Fresh Eyes on Modular by Jorie Wisnefski
I've spent years around lumber. I've participated in
businesses and careers being built around wood. So, hearing people talk about
replacing wood is a bit uncomfortable and unnatural, but so is modular
construction. It’s new to me. Just like robots reclaiming lumber was. And
digital lumber trading. But being open to innovation and learning new things
means there isn't only one answer.
Innovation questions something old.
I've worked closely with wood experts and have seen
firsthand what an incredible material it is. So when I first started reading
about recent changes to the 21st Century ROAD to Housing Act and the discussion
around removing the permanent chassis requirement for manufactured housing, I
wasn’t sure what to think.
Steel chassis are one of the visual and structural
differences people associate with manufactured homes. Removing it could create
new possibilities, but it also opens many questions about its replacement,
permits, and costs.
Being new to this side of housing, I didn’t want to form an
opinion without understanding the conversation.
So I looked at two different perspectives.
Gary Fleisher, who many in the industry know from his years
of challenging conventional thinking, encouraged
readers to look beyond the regulation itself and consider what happens when
an industry has the opportunity to rethink long-standing assumptions
about how homes are designed, transported, and built—a much larger question
than whether a chassis stays or goes. Gary framed it as new possibilities for
housing innovation instead of simply as legislation changing a rule.
Around the same time, mass timber expert Craig Rawlings shared
research on modular mass timber that made a different but important point, suggesting that many of modular construction's obstacles aren't about the
material. They're about financing, coordination, project delivery, and industry
adoption. In other words, changing materials alone won't solve every problem.
I’m glad I read both points of view.
One says, "Don't be afraid to rethink what's
possible."
The other says, "Don't assume changing materials
automatically changes outcomes."
Both can be true.
For every industry, there’s attachment to the way things
have always been done. Sometimes the old way is still the best way. Sometimes
the old way is simply easier because it's routine.
As someone who's mostly written about lumber, the
conversation is more personal. My instinct is to root for wood. But I've also
spent enough time around innovators to know that progress doesn't mean we have
to abandon what we love. Innovation forces us to examine whether we're solving
today's challenges with yesterday's assumptions.
Maybe wood is still the best answer in many applications.
Maybe steel is.
Maybe engineered wood, hybrid systems, or something we
haven't imagined yet will prove to be the better solution.
I don't have the answer.
But I know that curiosity has served every industry I've
ever worked in better than absolutes.
The more people I meet in modular construction, the more I
realize this industry isn't lacking passionate opinions. Most modular people
are willing to ask hard questions.
As someone looking at modular through Fresh Eyes, I hope people keep asking better questions to move innovation forward.
_________________________________________
In this edition of Fresh Eyes on Modular, Jorie Wisnefski explores how innovation begins—not with answers, but with better questions. Drawing on perspectives from both Gary Fleisher and Craig Rawlings, she reflects on her own journey from the lumber industry into modular construction and considers how curiosity, rather than attachment to tradition or materials, can help move the industry forward.


No comments:
Post a Comment