Has Modular Construction Forgotten the Journey After Modernizing the Factory?


By Jorie Wisnefski

One of the things I love most about learning a new industry is finding the unexpected.

I was on a call last week with folks in both the modular construction and modular transportation worlds. I was excited to hear them talk about reuse. 

I hadn’t expected it. Old trailers, wheels that have been around for years, and equipment that's repaired instead of replaced is the norm. Coming from the sustainability world, I love it. Reuse has always made sense to me. Why throw something away if it still has life left in it?

I know farmers who can fix almost anything with the right part and enough determination. It's resourceful. It's practical. And it's refreshing in a country that often treats most things as disposable.

I thought, This is great.

But then I started asking questions.

The challenge everyone kept coming back to was transporting the homes once they’re built, actually moving a home from the factory to the foundation. This is one of the biggest bottlenecks for modular construction.

Think about how much innovation has happened inside the factory. Homes are built indoors, protected from the weather. Automation has improved quality and consistency. Waste has been reduced. Production is faster than traditional construction, and that's increasingly important as we look for solutions to affordable housing and accessory dwelling units (ADUs) for aging parents.

The factory has evolved, and who doesn’t love a robot?

But what about what happens after the home leaves the building?


Every module still has to travel highways, navigate tight turns, cross bridges, and arrive safely at its foundation. Along the way, countless variables can slow projects or add unexpected costs. Researchers have even begun identifying transportation as one of the least studied challenges facing modular construction.

We celebrate factory efficiency because we've optimized production, but production is just one part of the system. If homes are completed fast but can’t reach their foundations quickly, have we really solved the problem or just moved the bottleneck outside?

That's what made me pause about my enthusiasm for reuse here.

I still believe in reuse. I always will.

But I also believe in innovation and safety.

Reuse shouldn't mean resisting better ideas. If any system creates delays or raises questions about safety, then we have to think about building something better.

If you’ve ever read anything I’ve written or followed companies I champion, doing the same-old-thing has never been my mantra. “The way things have always been done” doesn’t account for the world continuing to change and grow.

This isn't about criticizing. Quite the opposite. Resourcefulness is one of the things I admire most about modular construction.

This is about asking what innovators from any industry would ask…Just because it’s always been done this way, is it still the best way?

Modular construction has already challenged traditional homebuilding. Maybe its next breakthrough won’t happen inside the factory.

Maybe it'll happen on the road.

Fresh Eyes on Offsite

Jorie Wisnefski

One of the reasons I love learning about a new industry is getting to see it with fresh eyes. As I started learning about modular construction, I expected to be fascinated by the factories, automation, and speed of building. And I was. 

But I was surprised by the industry's commitment to reuse. Old trailers, rebuilt equipment, and worn wheels aren't viewed as outdated. They’re resourceful. As a champion for sustainability, I love that mindset.

Then I listened to modular experts on a call talking about how difficult it is to move the homes. Transportation is one of their biggest bottlenecks, and innovation can't stop at the factory doors

Follow stories and insights from Jorie Wisnefski as she explores the people, challenges, and innovations shaping modular construction. Through conversations with industry leaders and a curious outsider’s perspective, Jorie takes a look at what’s moving the industry forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment